All active and associate Virginia State Bar members in good standing, age 36 and under, as well as those members admitted to the Virginia State Bar as their initial bar for fewer than three years, are automatically members of the Young Lawyers Conference. No additional dues are charged for membership in the YLC.
The YLC functions as “a bar within a bar,” focusing its efforts on the special interests and concerns of young and new lawyers. Through a diverse group of projects, the YLC is a vehicle through which young lawyers can participate in the governance of the Virginia State Bar, serve the profession and the public, and enhance the public awareness of the legal profession. All members receive the Docket Call several times a year.
Conference activities include:
- Admission and Orientation Ceremonies (bi-annually);
- Celebration of Women & Minorities in the Legal Profession Bench-Bar Dinner;
- Professional Development Conferences;
- Minority Pre-Law Conferences;
- Emergency Legal Services;
- Rule of Law Day; and
- Various Community Outreach Projects.